Missing teeth over a period of time can cause your bone to atrophy or resorb. This often results in poor quality and quantity of bone. Loss of jaw bone can lead to:
- Problems with remaining teeth, including misalignment, drifting, loosening, and total loss of teeth
- Collapsed facial profile (face appears flat)
- Limited lip support (Lips appear “sucked in)
- Skin wrinkling around the mouth
- Distortion of other facial features
- Difficulty speaking and communicating
- Inadequate nutrition as a result of the inability to chew properly and painlessly
- Sinus expansion
In the same way that muscles are maintained through exercise, bone is maintained by use. Natural teeth stimulate the jaw bone through activities such as chewing and biting. When teeth are missing, the alveolar bone, or the portion of the jaw bone that anchors the teeth into the mouth, no longer receives stimulation and begins to break down.
With bone grafting we have the opportunity to replace bone where it is missing.
If you have any questions please call us at our Landsowne office Lansdowne Office Phone Number Lansdowne Office Phone Number 703-723-7858 or Chantilly office Chantilly Office Phone Number Chantilly Office Phone Number 703-668-9494.
Do You Want a Better Bite or a Healthier Mouth?
Our Oral Surgeons are ready to provide you with exceptional Oral Surgery services such as dental implant placement, wisdom teeth removal, jaw surgery, and more!